The American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts (ACEC/MA) is the business association of the Massachusetts and Rhode Island engineering industry, representing over 110 independent engineering companies engaged in the development of transportation, environmental, industrial, and other infrastructure. Founded in 1960 and headquartered in Boston, MA, ACEC/MA is a member organization of the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) based in Washington, DC. ACEC is a national federation of 51 state and regional organizations.
With the support of our member firms, ACEC/MA works to protect and promote your business. ACEC/MA's work with state leaders, legislators and with state agencies has led to the following recent victories.
- Advocating for support of Governor Patrick’s Transportation Plan to the legislature
- Ongoing participation in bi-monthly meetings of the Construction Law Working Group, at DCAM’s invitation, which is a collaboration of design, construction and owner organizations.
- Represented on the MA School Building Authority Advisory Board (Dom D’Eramo), the MSBA Designer Selection Panel (Leo Peters) and the FHWA MassDOT Every Day Counts State Transportation Innovation Council (Abbie Goodman)
- Coordinated and promoted MBTA and Department of Public Safety Building Code workshops, per request of MBTA, for our members.
- Coordinated and promoted Massport workshops for our members to provide information on doing business with Massport, including information on audit and financial requirements
- Wrote Recommended Best Practice of Design Review for MassDOT.
- Met our ACEC PAC goal set by ACEC National, three years in row
Legislative and Regulatory
- Testified at Transportation Hearing at the State House on March 25, 2013, to promote transportation infrastructure funding.
- Lead a coalition for successful passage of the Dam Safety, Repair and Removal Law (Chapter 448 of the Acts of 2012).
- Hosted and co-chaired Water Infrastructure Finance Alliance meetings at The Engineering Center to advocate for closing water infrastructure funding gap.
- Participating in Massachusetts Gaming Commission meetings with Boston Society of Architects to promote sustainable design in casino construction.
- Filed S. 795, “An Act protecting engineers, architects, environmental professionals, landscape architects, planners, land surveyors, licensed site professionals, and contractors who render voluntary services at the scene of a disaster or catastrophe,” a Good Samaritan bill to protect engineering companies from liability for doing volunteer work in emergency situations.
- Continue to evaluate Senate and House bills which may affect our industry.
- Communicating via Twitter on @ACECMA. ACEC/MA has over 1000 Twitter followers.
- Organized and started our 4th Odyssey Leadership Education Program, a 10-month program aimed at mid-managers in our industry, starting in October 2012.
- Developing our QBS website procurementhelp.org.
- Continue to hold partnering meetings with key agency leaders at MassDOT, MBTA, Massport, DCAM and DCR to discuss issues of concern to our members.
- Awarded a $5,000 scholarship as part of the 2013 ACEC/MA Education Corporation Scholarship to Mechanical Engineering student Caitlin Mackey (class of 2015).
- Successfully held 2013 ACEC/MA Engineering Excellence Award gala on March 20, 2013.
- Continue participation in a joint task force with BSCES and MALSCE representatives to review and provide input on potential continuing education requirements in Massachusetts.
- Held Everest Senior Leadership Roundtable on UMass Club on April 4, 2013.
- Started our 14th Emerging Leaders Education Program, a program aimed at fostering emerging leaders for leadership success.